Weekly Update 10/18
· Congratulations to the Shoremen on their SWC Championship! That was an awesome race. While we talked about our assignments, what to do and when to do it, and who to run with, it really comes down to execution. You guys executed perfectly! That was an awesome race!
· Congratulations to the Shoregals on your 3rd place finish! You really pushed through some adversity to place a very close 3rd place. I realize you really wanted to repeat as SWC Champions, but you did the best you could on Saturday, and that’s all anyone can ask of a person or a team. Thanks for a great couple of seasons, girls!
· Please turn in uniforms to Room 404! Please wash your uniform and turn it in to Coach Rocco in room 404. Please place everything in a bag and label it with your name.
· Starting next week, you need to take a break! One of the problems distance coaches have with good teams—and we have two really good teams—is getting those teams to rest. Rest is important! Take 3 weeks off of running, starting next week. No running! This is ‘Couch Potato’ time, where you have permission to be a lazy kid for three weeks. Eat what you want, play other sports, sit on the couch and watch television/play video games. Time to rest!
· Running with Rocco (our off-season running program) starts the week of November 9th. If you are not involved in a winter sport, or if the winter sport you are involved in does not conflict with our off-season running, then you need to start running the week of November 9th. We will meet 3 days a week, after school, from 3 – 4 p.m. We will definitely be done by 4 p.m. We will also meet on some Saturdays and we’ll start advertising road races as well. Running Club starts in November and goes until February, when Track & Field conditioning begins. It is important for runners to run in the off-season! Nothing crazy, but you want to get out there after your rest period. We’ll be running outside so dress for the weather!
· I’m updating the Cross Country bulletin board with our new individual and team records. Parents, if you have any pictures you can bring, I’ll laminate them and put them up. I don’t have any pictures myself so anything you can give me would be great. The pictures we currently have are from 2 years ago!
· Thanks for a great season! This season has been exhausting with such large numbers, but it’s also been one of the most fun! Thanks for being such great kids, and thanks go out to all the parents for all your help, donations, and patience this season! We’ll be updating the blog every couple weeks with our Running Club dates/times, races, and workouts!
OHSAA Middle School Invitational
· Bus leaves TROY at 8:30 a.m. Be there at 8:25 a.m., and be ready to sleep on the way down. We’re taking 2 buses!
· We should return around 7 p.m. We plan on stopping for food on the way back home.
· This meet will be held at:
Waggoner Road Junior High School
360 N. Waggoner Road
Reynoldsburg, OH 43068
· Dress for the weather! Right now it looks like it will be 54 degrees, with a chance of rain. Dress in layers. Bring at 2-3 pairs of socks, a pair of dry shoes you can keep on the bus to change into on the way home, and rain gear if you have it (I’ve got home-made ponchos from clear plastic bags should you need it). Hats and gloves are good too!
· Pack a lunch. You’re going to want to eat lunch on the way down to the meet, or when we get there (depending on when you run).
· Bring extra food/water. I’ve got extra water but you’ll want to snack when we get there so bring some food and a sports drink!
· Bring money! You might want to buy apparel when you get there, and we’ll be eating on the way back.
· Here’s the course map: http://www.baumspage.com/cc/ccframe.php?path=http://www.ohsaa.org/sports/cc/default.asp
· Here’s the racing assignments:
Section G - Boys Open
Section H - Girls Open
Section I - Boys Team Scored
Section J - Girls Team Scored
· Here’s who we’re running against: http://www.baumspage.com/cc/ccframe.php?path=http://www.ohsaa.org/sports/cc/default.asp
· Here’s Avon Lake’s roster—we can take 10 people on TEAM for this race (names are not in any particular order):
BOYS OPEN 1 p.m.
GIRLS OPEN 1:30 p.m.
BOYS TEAM 2:00 p.m.
GIRLS TEAM 2:30 p.m.