Cross Country Athletes & Parents:
· Congratulations to both the Boys & Girls on their SWC Championships! That was awesome! Great execution of that 1st mile, and a great finish. That makes 3 SWC titles in a row for the boys, and the girls have won 3 out of 4!
· Please turn in uniforms to Room 404! Please wash your uniform and turn it in to Coach Rocco in room 404. Please place everything in a bag and label it with your name. Don’t forget to label it with your name!
· Starting next week, you need to take a break! One of the problems distance coaches have with good teams—and we have two GREAT teams—is getting those teams to rest. Rest is important! Take 3 weeks off of running, starting next week. No running! This is ‘Couch Potato’ time, where you have permission to be a lazy kid for three weeks. Eat what you want, play other sports, sit on the couch and watch television/play video games. Time to rest!
· RUNNING WITH ROCCO (our off-season running program) starts the week of November 14th. If you are not involved in a winter sport, or if the winter sport you are involved in does not conflict with our off-season running, then you need to start running the week of November 14th. We will meet 3 – 4 days a week, after school, from 3 – 4 p.m. We will definitely be done by 4 p.m. We will also meet on some Saturdays and we’ll start advertising road races as well. RUNNING WITH ROCCO starts in November and goes until the beginning of March, when Track & Field conditioning begins. It is important for runners to run in the off-season! Nothing crazy, but you want to get out there after your rest period. We’ll be running outside so dress for the weather! All updates of RUNNING WITH ROCCO will be on our team blog.
· I’m updating the Cross Country bulletin board with our new individual and team records. I’ll be sending athletes updated Avon Lake Cross Country records, along with SWC history.
· Thanks for a great season! There’s a lot of people to thank for this season:
1. PARENTS – Thank you for all your support through the Friday Night Dinners, helping us out at our Fun Run, and taking all the pictures at meets (thanks again to Mr. Matuszak)! I tell teams at the beginning of the season: If we as coaches do a good job this season, you won’t want this season to end—you’ll want to keep running together. This has been another awesome season, and one of the central reasons is that it was a community event. Thanks for making it great!
2. COACHES – We have an awesome staff, and if you get a chance, be sure to thank Coach Walters. She will be leaving us after this season, so thank her for all her contributions to the team the last six years!
3. ATHLETES – As coaches, we try to set our expectations high for you guys, and you met or exceeded them every time. I tell teams in the summer that you will be spending the next 3 ½ months together, and, for some of you, you’ll be running for the next 6 years together. In that time, you’ll change from a group of strangers to a family. The first thing we heard as coaches from other teams or parents wasn’t how good you were (although we did hear that a lot), but what nice kids you were. Avon Lake is a place we all call home, and it’s awesome to see our town represented by you guys. Thanks for a GREAT season, and GO AVON LAKE!
OHSAA Middle School Invitational:
· Bus leaves TROY at 6:15 a.m. Be there at 6 a.m., and be ready to sleep on the way down. We’re taking 2 buses!
· We should return around 5:30 p.m. We plan on stopping for food on the way back home.
· This meet will be held at:
Ohio University-Lancaster Campus
1570 Granville Pike
Lancaster, OH 43130
· Weather looks good! Right now it looks like it will be 55 degrees. Still, dress in layers. If the weather forecast changes we’ll go over it with the team this week.
· Bring a snack. We’re leaving early for this one, and you’ll want to eat a large snack prior to racing.
· Bring extra food/water. I’ve got extra water that I’ll be bringing, but you’ll want to snack when we get there so bring some food and a sports drink!
· Bring money! You might want to buy apparel when you get there, and we’ll be eating a late lunch on the way back.
· Information for this meet can be found here (including course map): http://www.baumspage.com/cc/ccframe.php?path=http://www.ohsaa.org/sports/cc/default.asp
· Here’s who we’re running against: http://www.baumspage.com/cc/ccframe.php?path=http://cdab.org/sports/CC/PRE-SEASON_INVITATIONAL/JH/JH_RaceAssignments.htm
· We’ll go over our roster for this meet later in the week, but here are the times Saturday:
BOYS OPEN 11 a.m.
GIRLS OPEN 11:30 a.m.
BOYS TEAM 12:00 p.m.
GIRLS TEAM 12:30 p.m.